Monday, September 22

Obamamania

More Economist:
a question Obamamaniacs should ask themselves more often: "Do you hope that Barack Obama will change politics if he becomes president? On what grounds"
Barack Obama is no saint, much less a messiah. It's true some people need to be reminded that he is not only a fallible human being, but also one of those nasty politicians. (Gasp!)

I'm no maniac, but I do think he will make some changes for the better, so here's my answer:

Let's start with Bill Clinton. It seems to me Obama will be at least as good in almost every respect. In particular, considerably more competent than George W. Bush when it comes to intelligent decision-making. So that's a baseline, one I'm less sure McCain and Palin can live up to. I'll take my chances with Biden, as he seems well suited to taking over in a crisis, should the worst happen, and that's the main thing to look for in a veep.

But being like Clinton is more of a restoration than a change. I'm optimistic Obama will improve on Clinton. His personal affairs are in order, so we're not likely to have stupid distractions. He exhibits a genuine wonkish curiosity for the world-as-it-actually-works, and appears capable of pragmatically relating this to the world-as-we-wish-it-could-be.

He uses idealistic language, to be sure -- that vaunted rhetorical skill -- which appears to me a hybrid of Lincoln, FDR, JFK, and Reagan. No one can be sure he will achieve such greatness -- that would be mania -- but it's fair to say the potential is there. And whether you agree with him or not, the fact is he inspires people.

Consider these famous lines:

"There is nothing to fear but fear itself."
"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

Or how about a mundane matter:

"Check your tire pressures; proper inflation will improve fuel economy significantly."

I can see Obama saying stuff like that and people actually listening more than they normally would.

For a more considered take, I recommend Sullivan's 2007 piece, Why Obama Matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive