Monday, September 29

Woah Virginia

Earlier I saw a headline and joked about Obama's lucky weather streak coming to an end. I called it "disappointing news". But this was actually a great rally in the rain: 26,000 people in VA!



Here's a HuffPost story.

The first half is "meh"...a populist message tailored to get him elected. I especially recoiled when he suggested being "on your own" is a bad thing.

But for the second half of this video...he's on fire. Yeah, in the rain. It's a great speech for that second half.

Interesting to me was how sinister his appearance seemed throughout. The repeated close up of a black man's face, on a black sky...my emotional response was like: "danger!". But rationally I was listening to what he had to say, of course, and quite liking what I heard -- at least for the last half.

I'm glad he's improving race relations this way. I do not want to feel a sense of "danger!" when seeing a close-up, dark-skinned face. He's really helping all of us out of that unfortunate prejudice, and I love this aspect of his candidacy.

He's already a great role model for young black men, as I mentioned earlier when I linked to this post:

Reality, Painful or Not [Jay Nordlinger]

Since it happened three times, I thought I’d tell you about it — it happened three times when I was in Denver, Friday and Saturday. In restaurants and other public places, young black men asked me whether I had attended the Democratic convention. I said yes. They said, “What did you think of the speech?” (meaning Obama’s). And I said I thought it was fabulous.

In each case, the young man beamed and beamed.

This sort of thing can’t be discounted this year. And if Obama loses, there will be pain: perhaps more pain than usually occurs in an election, in which there is always a winner and a loser.

I still get teary-eyed when I read about them beaming. I've seen it first-hand with my own black friends. Their eyes light up, even... it's a beautiful thing.

Can you think of a better way to finally put America's original sin behind us than to watch Obama swear that oath on 20 January? To "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States", which once valued him at 3/5ths of a "free person" ? I don't think I can.

Three cheers for BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA!! That America has already come this far from the travesty of the Bush years still amazes me. We can lead in world opinion again...just you wait. Remember what they were saying back in December 2007? "something like a Copernican revolution" ? Well, go read more international news. It's already happening...when they're not busy gawking at the financial crisis and Palin fiasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive