Tuesday, March 24

Culture11 we hardly knew ye

What happened when one conservative website ventured outside the movement bubble?

I really do miss Culture11 :'(

It was so breathtakingly fresh to interact with sane conservatism.

Washington Independent adds:
The best conservative/gleeful take on why Culture11 failed came from Robert Stacy McCain, whose arguments are too numerous to summarize here, but can be boiled down to: “If you want to create a brand of conservatism that doesn’t yet exist, you have to do more than write columns and movie reviews.” If you want to write columns and movie reviews, they have to be in the “liberals are awful and destroying freedom” mold.
Reihl World View flaunts his ignoramus credentials:
Dan Collins links to a Washington Monthly item on the Culture11 fail - evidently it dismissively discusses Big Hollywood, as well. I'm familiar with Breitbart's BH.

I sure don't know everything out here. But I've been knocking around the Internet for too many years to count and blogging daily for five on the Right. There are few if any major memes I miss, even if I don't blog on them.

I never even heard of this Culture11 site until I read that it was gone. If someone wants to know why it failed, extrapolate that out to other bloggers and web surfers, that was it.

Having never seen it, all I can conclude is that it really must have sucked.
Read that last sentence again, for you won't find a more ironic statement of the incuriously vapid logic so emblematic of the last decade's republo-conservatism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive