Saturday, January 24

Whopper virgins

   
LA Times has a story:
Burger King and Wendy's are facing a number of rogue users on Twitter, who are registering accounts like WhopperVirgins, theBKlounge and 3conomics, and impersonating popular fast-food ad campaigns. And we get to witness the hilarity.

The postings to the Whopper Virgins Twitter account aren't what you might expect from a major corporation like Burger King.

"Gained like 5 lbs. in 1 week. I don't understand. ... At least I have my whoppers to keep my spirits up," a message posted a few weeks ago read. "Lost my virginity to a whopper. Feeling like a slut," read one of the earliest tweets.

As you may have gathered, this isn't affiliated with the Burger King company or its marketing team, which is running the TV campaign in which foreigners document their first encounters with the hamburger.

And he does seem to have reason for concern. Last month, theBKlounge, which looks much more like a legitimate account run by Burger King, sent a public message to Whopper Virgins, saying, "CEASE AND DESIST. UNAUTHORIZED USE OF TRADEMARK. What is your motivation by the way ... ?"

Paul hadn't seen the tweet until I pointed it out to him Thursday. "It looks very unofficial," he said. "I've never had a cease and desist presented to me, but I would imagine it doesn't normally look like that. ... It seems like they're joking around."

He was right. TheBKlounge account, just like Paul's own, is simply another overzealous burger fan. A Burger King spokesperson said, "We're flattered the King has fans on Twitter. While we appreciate the love, we do want to clarify those twittering are unofficial members of the Kingdom, and not the King or his Court."
And so we get a priceless Digg comment:
It was prom and I didn't want to, but all my friends said they were going to eat whoppers that night too. It hurt and I just went through the motions of chewing. I could tell that the whopper had taken advantage of me. I didn't want it to go back to the king and say I wasn't cool. I just stayed very still in that gross hotel room and moved my jaw up and down. The Whopper said all the cool kids swallow so I did. I felt dirty. I had ketsup and mustard all over my face. I'm not proud of myself. I think I am going to wait until I feel like I have found the right burger before I eat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive