Monday, June 29

"Forgive Mark Sanford"

For someone who thinks everyone should shut up about Sanford's affair and leave him be, I seem to have managed an oddly high number of posts about it. But I want share Megan McCain's take, which seems quite right:
[..] what goes on in Governor Sanford’s personal life, I believe, just isn’t relevant to his role as a public official. The problem I see, like most problems I have with politics, goes back to the same thing—the hypocrisy of it all. One thing making everyone so mad, myself included, are the clips being played of Governor Sanford publicly blasting former President Clinton for his affair with Monica Lewinsky. It looks horribly hypocritical. And it is. We have to stop requiring that our politicians live at such a high level of moral superiority, as if they are infallible creatures. Let me assure you, they are not.

[..] Now I do not condone Governor Sanford’s actions. Far from it. I am a big believer in the sanctity of marriage. And how the entire drama played out was far too intimate for me. Those excruciatingly personal emails. His strange and emotional press conference. Jenny Sanford’s long, Gospel-quoting press release. All of it is an uncomfortable glimpse into the inner workings of a political marriage and we as Americans eat it up with a spoonful of schadenfreude. Was Governor Sanford wrong to have an affair? As a husband, of course he was. But should we burn him at the stake and make him leave office? I don’t believe so. Because sex and politics are two very different things, even if sometimes they seem hopelessly entwined. What he does in his personal life, I believe, would have nothing to do with how he balances his state’s budget or conducts business.

3 comments:

  1. interesting. i'm in agreement with most of mccain's article. have you come around to my way of thinking on this? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how far apart we were to begin with, but I tried to explain here how your subtext--e.g. filing it under stupidity and schadenfreude--seemed different.

    I don't think Sanford is stupid and I don't feel a bit of schadenfreude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a fair point, although getting involved in an affair while being a high-profile republican governor and then disappearing for a week without telling anyone where you were is pretty stupid in my book. As for schadenfreude, I must admit that I do sometimes enjoy seeing publicly self-righteous hypocrites get knocked down a few pegs.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive