Tuesday, May 5

The GOP's new favorite Democrat [updated below]



After the change, hardline NROite Mark Hemingway quipped: "I read that he was switching parties, but I was disappointed to learn he's still a Democrat."

It may take some time for anger at his switch to fade among others on the right, but once that's over he's bound to become Republicans' new favorite Democratic Senator when he bucks the new party.  I know I'll keep my popcorn ready.

It'll be the same as how he used to be Democrats' favorite Republican short of Lincoln Chafee (also a fine open-minded Senator).  For instance Specter recently said Norm Coleman would be a better Senator than Al Franken, which while infuriating to the left has the virtue of being true.

(That said, Coleman's legal challenges of Minnesota's results appear arbitrary and bogus. As the lesser of two evils, I wish he'd won, but that's not where the votes are)

Update: Having actually read the interview, titled "Specter Backs Coleman for Senate"...
Interviewer: With your departure from the Republican Party, there are no more Jewish Republicans in the Senate. Do you care about that?

Arlen Specter: I sure do. There’s still time for the Minnesota courts to do justice and declare Norm Coleman the winner.

Interviewer: Which seems about as likely at this point as Jerry Seinfeld’s joining the Senate.


Arlen Specter: Well, it was about as likely as my becoming a Democrat.
I believe this is a case of an editor picking an inappropraite headline.  It reads like a joke that was never meant as a serious comment on Minnesota courts "doing justice".

I'm sure Specter personally prefers Coleman, as a fellow centrist.  But his official position--which will probably come out in clarifying remarks--likely won't choose sides in the legal fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive