Monday, November 15

My deficit eviceration plan

Finally got around to playing with the NYT's deficit reduction app, and here are my results.

I choose all the domestic spending cuts, almost all the military cuts (kept the F-35 and Osprey), and the majority of health and social security cuts.  I extended all the Bush-era tax cuts, but added a carbon tax and reduced the mortgage interest rate deduction.  And I'm especially fond of the Bowles-Simpson plan that zeros out tax expenditures to broaden the tax base while lowering rates--though I would want to lower rates even further than their proposal (since I'm saving so much on the spending side).

Ah well, we must allow ourselves to dream from time to time. Now back to the bleak art of the possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive