Wednesday, October 22

I don't envy his inbox

A Refreshing Change -- David Frum's Diary

A reader writes:

I wonder if you are aware to the extent of the alienation and frustration (at you, Peggy Noonan, David Brooks, Doug Kmiec, Chris Buckley, etc…we’re still cutting Krauthammer some slack) that has recently occurred among those (of us) who would normally be your customers?

We have a strong feeling that there now exists a “Heartland conservatism” - in the Reagan tradition - and an “East Coast conservatism” that is seen as increasingly “elite” and out of touch with our values. The message you are trying to send to us, to change our message, we are reflecting back at you (all). Here’s the problem, our numbers area far, far greater.

Most of this alienation and frustration, I believe, has been exasperated by the very public criticism, from “conservatives”, of Gov. Palin, who “out here” is very well liked. We “get” her David, but we don’t “get” you (all) anymore, it’s that simple.

David, if you alienate “your base”, who will be left to buy your books?

For weeks now, I've been hearing that my views of this election are motivated by my squalid and selfish personal ambitions. So it's very refreshing to be chastised now for foolishly disregarding my self-interest!

But I do admire his honesty.

To the reader's point, I will say this: Some people care about voting for someone who they "get" and who "shares their values" more than they care about electing a competent statesperson. Frum and I aren't part of this group (though we differ on McCain's competence -- Frum is still voting for him despite the Palin pick)

Of course, Palin doesn't share my values, so it's easier for me to say that. Were a virtual clone of me nominated, I suppose I might be tempted by such identipolitik, but I'd like to think I would resist it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive